Friday 16 October 2009

10,000 hours

It keeps coming up.  It went from concept to meme.  10,000 hours haunted me all of a sudden – showing up in a friend’s poem, in conversation, in print – everywhere.

I haven’t read Malcolm Gladwell’s book Outliers, but it was on my list.  Someone mentioned the 10,000 hours concept – that you achieve mastery over something after having dedicated 10,000 hours to it, and after that, it was everywhere.

I immediately began to think of my 10,000 hours list:

writing

dance

music

theatre

cinema

film production

event production

sleeping!

The list would go on.  It scared me, the list, to be honest.  I felt I should have achieved more status after all this hard work, training, practise and rise to mastery.

 Maybe there’s a loophole.  Maybe I should read the book.

 

 

No comments: