Monday 5 July 2010

rumi-nation for monday

I'm just loving this poem right now.  So instead of a quote, you are getting a whole poem.  Hand-typed by me.  Hopefully no mistakes.

From Rumi - Bridge to the Soul, Coleman Barks translation.

DISCIPLINES

Do not expect to be always happy on this way.
You have been caught by a lion, my dear.

The friend dumps plaster on your head.
Think of it as expensive perfume.

Inside you there is a monster
that must be tied up and whipped.

Watch the man beating a rug.
He is not mad at it.
He wants to loosen the layers of dirt.

Ego accumulations are not loosened
with one swat.  Continual work
is necessary, disciplines.

In dreams, and even awake,
you will hear the beloved screaming at you.

A carpenter saws and chisels a piece of wood,
because he knows how he wants to use it.

Curing a hide, the tanner
rubs in acid and all manner of filth.
This makes a beautiful soft leather.

What does the  half-finished hide know?
Every hard thing that happens
works on you like that.

Hurry, Shams.  Come back
like the sun comes back
every day with new
and powerful secrets.

- Rumi translated by Coleman Barks




I think this is my favorite stanza:

Watch the man beating a rug.
He is not mad at it.
He wants to loosen the layers of dirt.
It tells me everything I need to know.

No comments: