Friday 28 October 2011

Watch out for the 2D 3D

A day after marching with Occupy Wall Street and not too far from Occupy DC, we visited the Sculpture Garden at The National Mall.  There had been a lot of FB and Twitter debate about violence at the protests - police brutality and over-use of force.  Since we were there - we chimed in - and were told by people hundreds and thousands of miles away, that we were wrong.  A picture is worth a thousand words, but nobody ever said those thousand words had to be true.  Beware extrapolating the whole story from one frame.

As we walked through the garden, there was this house sculpture by Lichtenstein


When you walk, the perspective changes before your eyes - going from an inverted L-shape to a V-shape which looks like a real house.  It's a trompe l'oeil effect, very cleverly and beautifully used - also super-fun.  I decided to shoot it  - from different angles, as if I were walking along.  Of course, and I should have realized, the effect is totally lost in a two-dimensional image.


It is clear from my photos that I have changed perspective in relation to the sculpture, but the sculpture, effectively, remains a little house.


I turned to Mark and showed him the pictures.  "See," I said, "this is what happens when you try to interpret lfe from a picture."  "You get it all wrong," he said.  "You get it all wrong.  And that's the blog," I said.  "And that's the blog," he replied.


Always beware the 2-D 3-D.  Check your perspective.

No comments: