Wednesday 30 May 2012

That YouTube Proposal

It's a total cliche to be a poet and a romantic, so I keep my inner romantic in a closet full of frilly dresses.

However, 6 million folks can't be wrong, right?  I finally broke down and watched the YouTube marriage proposal that's causing a frenzy.

Here it is, if you missed it:



Call me an unromantic poet, but what I see here isn't "romantic" in any way we tend to define it.  What I see here is incredibly moving, but for reasons far beyond the kind of "oh what a great bf this guy is" that seems to be the tag line.

When I look at this, I see the kind of person you would want to have as a partner - someone capable of planning something complicated, someone capable of self-expression, someone who knows how to ask for help, and someone who can inspire people.

What's remarkable about this to me is that the community surrounding this couple has come out enthusiastically, even though they look sorta silly - I mean, these people put in time here - there is choreography!  This means that the couple is inspiring and that they have the full support of a community - a creative community willing to share their best selves.

We can all work on this for ourselves - being a great part of a great community doesn't need a ring on it.


No comments: