Monday 24 February 2014

Quote of the Week - Hozier


"She's the giggle at a funeral
Knows everybody's disapproval
I should've worshipped her sooner
If the Heavens ever did speak
She is the last true mouthpiece"
 
~ Hozier/Take Me to Church
I wish I wrote this song.  Here listen -  take yourself to church.
I don't know anything about Hozier; I heard this on KCRW, but I suspect there's at least a bit more where this came from. This track gives me that same feeling I had the first time I saw Ed Sheeran do a song on the IKToms Tour 2008 in our teeny little Edinburgh venue, and the first time I watched Michael Kiwanuka play Lyrix Organix in 2010. It's a kind of wow click that my promoter brain gets - a kind absolute yes.

A lot of artists have a lot to offer.  Many artists can tick all the boxes. But some artists can actually sweeten and slow down time for you. That's what I look for:  someone who calls me to their presence so that my moment is more truthful and meaningful than it would have been without them.

Complete alignment makes their art and their success feel pre-ordained. I think this is what people are referring to when they say genius --  total alignment of craft, message, vessel, and delivery. Clarity of purpose and open passage for art to be conveyed with no obstructions; ego diabled so the artist serves only the vision.

Take Me to Church gives me that click every time I play it. The lyrics are courageous with bold images and the song is hella sexy and catchy. It makes me roll down the windows at the red light while I sing loud and raise the sunroof.

TAKE ME TO CHURCH 
My lover's got humour She's the giggle at a funeral Knows everybody's disapproval I should've worshiped her sooner If the Heavens ever did speak She is the last true mouthpiece 
Every Sunday's getting more bleak A fresh poison each week 'We were born sick,' you heard them say it My church offers no absolutes She tells me 'worship in the bedroom' The only heaven I'll be sent to Is when I'm alone with you 
I was born sick, but I love it Command me to be well Amen. Amen. Amen 
Take me to church
I'll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies
I'll tell you my sins and you can sharpen your knife
Offer me that deathless death
Good God, let me give you my life 
If I'm a pagan of the good times
My lover's the sunlight
To keep the Goddess on my side
She demands a sacrifice
To drain the whole sea 
Get something shiny
Something meaty for the main course
That's a fine looking high horse
What you got in the stable?
We've a lot of starving faithful 
That looks tasty
That looks plenty
This is hungry work 
No masters or kings when the ritual begins
There is no sweeter innocence than our gentle sin
In the madness and soil of that sad earthly scene
Only then I am human
Only then I am clean
Amen. Amen. Amen 
-Hozier

My writing prompt for the week: write love as fresh and fearless as this from the girl side. 

I think I'm gonna need new shoes.  I'm not sure I can do this without new shoes.

Have an extra-sexy week!

UPDATE:  Absolutely check out this live session on KCRW'S MBE.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for turning me on this! -nikki skies

E. Amato said...

Definitely check out the KCRW session - beautiful. :) xox