Saturday 12 April 2014

NaPoWriMo 12/30 - The Thing I Should Have Said Yes to + Day 13 Prompt!

The Thing I Should Have Said Yes to

You’ll want me to say
it was when you said
come on – let’s get married
tomorrow
we’ll go to City Hall
we can move to Maine
and live in the woods
and have two little kids

That was a good solid no.
I didn’t want to live in the woods
birth two little kids while
you were painting my future
into a corner

Surely this would’ve ended
with my head in an oven.

You hated kids
anyway. I wasn’t leaving
NYC. Not yet, not then.


Maybe it was the time
the incredibly arrogant white man said
DON’T YOU WANT TO WORK FOR 
THE BEST COMPANY IN THE WORLD?

Well, yeah, but not as a serf
prevented from even thinking about 
advancement 
and also working for a
complete NARCISSIST.

It wasn’t the best company 
in the world. It was alright.
That was a good no.

A lot of these types of things
don’t require yesses. They
declaim and expect acquiescence
but no.

No.

Often
what is required
is for you to ask the question
of yourself
ask it for them
let them off the hook
give them a way to wrangle out
or feel as though they were coerced

I’m not so good with that, either.
Those are noes.  It's possible
I could have used more of them.

In hindsight
there is perhaps
nothing I should have said yes to
that I didn’t.

Except maybe
that little click
in the gut
told me
this time do the wrong thing
do the wrong thing right
trust me.


12/30
NaPoWriMo
2014

 DAY 13 PROMPT:  The War of Where Things Go



No comments: