Wednesday 31 December 2014

Quote of the Week - Collins



“'President Snow once admitted to me that the Capitol was fragile. At the time, I didn’t know what he meant. It was hard to see clearly because I was so afraid. Now I’m not. The Capitol’s fragile because it depends on the districts for everything. Food, energy, even the Peacekeepers that police us. If we declare our freedom, the Capitol collapses. President Snow, thanks to you, I’m officially declaring mine today.'”

~ Suzanne Collins, Mockingjay

It's true: my biggest accomplishment of 2014 was reading The Hunger Games Trilogy- so late to the party.

Yet, in light of all that was 2014, maybe just the right time. What I was reading matched what I was seeing in the world - moment after moment that said, "well, I may not be able to fix things or change them, but I'm not going to play along anymore." Katniss Everdeen is a compelling anti-heroine because she refuses the status; she does not feel entitled to speak for others and does not take to causes. She recognizes a system that is meant to be protecting its most vulnerable, but instead uses them for fodder - she takes the stands she can in small steps - volunteering, caring instead of colluding against, defying the insured outcome. She's a reluctant revolutionary at best, but she's also a citizen who stands against a status quo that so blatantly discriminates against so many. She owns her personal power.

As a new year dawns, let's own ours. Let's not decentralize power from ourselves, especially not to those who do not share interest in our absolute well-being and thriving.

Wishing you a healthy, prosperous, exciting (but not too) year!

Thanks for hanging out on Zesty - please check out the great writers who contribute and get in touch if you'd like to write something yourself.




No comments: